Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild or villa Ile-de-France ... A sumptuous Renaissance style palace, located on one of the peaks of Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat. Its construction, spread over a period of 7 years beginning of the 20th century, was carried out by Baroness Béatrice Ephrussi de Rothschild.
Following her death in 1934, the Rothschild Foundation opened a museum there, illustrating the home of a great art lover of the Belle Epoque. After a succession of events such as a restoration of the museum, the opening of the villa to the public, then its closure at the beginning of the Second World War, it is getting known with 60,000 visitors each year.
It was not until 1990 that its reputation reached 130,000 annual visitors, turning it into one of the most visited destinations between Nice and Menton.
Baroness Béatrice Ephrussi de Rothschild, marked by her taste for the French eighteenth century or exoticism, is strongly in line with the great art collectors of the time, such as Jacquemart-André and Wallace and some members of her family (Edmond de Rothschild, Ferdinand de Rothschild (Waddesdon), etc.). Deeply passionate about art, it seems that she had bought a chapel... to extract a fresco...!
We first take the famous "Staircase Orange" which runs along the east side of the villa. The bright and warm colors of the plants that run along it prepare us for the Iberian world of the garden following...
A harmony of colors that lead us gently to "the next step" awaken our senses ... Where primula acaules, among others, harmoniously decorate the ride. From the beginning of this intoxicating walk, we identify ourselves: the plant palette and chromatic choices are a masterpiece of the chessboard for each Abeillus Project ... And this is just the beginning.
First visual impact from the first meters traveled: the arrival in the Spanish Garden. This one presents a fresh cave, a pergola and a channel invaded by aquatic plants, philodendrons, papyrus and edged with strelitzia, grenadiers and daturas.